Certified Teaching Assistant (CTA)

Certified Teaching Assistant (CTA)

  • Meets qualifications for paraprofessional
  • Has received pedagogical training and completed 80-100 hours of field experience
  • Qualified to fulfill instructional support roles
  • Districts and Colleges should support CTA on a pathway to licensure, examples include:
    • Flexible work schedule
    • Experiential college credit

To receive CTA credential, the following steps are required: (Students can be considered using coursework taken from  2016-2017 forward) 

How to Apply

To apply for the Certified Teaching Assistant credential, please complete the online application, and upload all of the items listed below. Before you start the application, make sure you have electronic copies of the following documents readily available: a copy of your transcript showing completed coursework, a copy of your Paraprofessional Praxis results documenting a passing score, and documentation of at least 80 field hours.

  • Complete the online application
  • Upload copy of transcript (unofficial acceptable) with completed program of study coursework.
  • Upload copy of paraprofessional assessment confirming passed
  • Upload field experience log for documentation of 80-100 field hours
  • Once approved, candidate will receive an electronic CTA Certificate
Child Care Guidance Certification

Through a cooperative effort of the Arkansas Department of Human Services Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education and the Family and Consumer Sciences group within the Division of Career and Technical Education, criteria for certifying students participating in the Child Care Guidance Management and Services Program of Study has been defined. Three levels of certification have been approved for the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years.  These levels are:

  • Child Care Aide
  • Child Care Assistant
  • Childcare Teacher

Criteria for each level of certification is provided in the attached document.

This process has changed so that the student requests their certification, not the teacher. The student will need to complete 40 hours of practicum that will be documented in a log. (Downloadable Example Practicum log). Babysitting at home or during the summer is not a qualified lab experience.

To receive the Child Care Certificate, the following steps are required: 

  • Complete the full Human and Social Services program of study as described here. Level 3 course must be Child Care Guidance, Management and Services.
  • Complete at least 40 hours of practicum in the field.

How to apply:

  • Complete the online application:  Child Care Certification Application
  • Upload a copy of student transcript (unofficial is acceptable) with completed program of study coursework.
  • Upload field experience log for documentation of at least 40 hours of practicum.


Once approved, student will receive an electronic copy of the appropriate Child Care certificate.

Technical Permits

Technical Permits are issued to professionals leaving industry and entering into the education field.

  1. Minimum Requirements for CTE Permits
    1. Experienced professionals may be issued a CTE provisional permit.
    2. The minimum requirements include a minimum of an Associate’s Degree with two years of relevant work experience in the specialty area to be taught or four years of relevant work experience in the specialty area to be taught.
    3. Minimum education requirements/work experience shall be met prior to employment in the teaching specialty, verification of high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma.
    4. All candidates must pass the required background checks.
  2. Process for Obtaining CTE Permits
    1. Candidates shall submit the following documents to the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) Office of Educator Licensure:
      1. The Arkansas Educator Licensure Application (link to ADE website below).
      2. Official college transcript, copy of high school diploma, or copy General Equivalency Diploma (GED) (Submit the highest attained).
      3. Resume reflecting relevant work experience in Specialty Permit Areas.
      4. Additional requirements as outlined under Specialty Permit Areas.
    2. Provisional permits (employment required) will be valid for one (1) year from the applicant's hire date.
    3. Once all Provisional permit requirements have been satisfactorily met, an application for a standard 5- year permit may be submitted.

Instructor Technical Permit Application